Leave-in conditioner is generally used in one of two ways.
If you’ve purchased a leave-in conditioner spray, you’ll take these steps:
- Wash and condition your hair as usual.
- Towel dry your hair to the point that it is damp.
- Spray the leave-in conditioner all over your hair.
- Smooth the product in.
Tip: If you have longer hair, flip your head over and spray the underside of your hair to be sure that you’ve coated all of your strands with the product. Also, if you have thick hair, you may want to part your hair in sections and spray them individually to ensure even product coverage.
You’ll take these basic steps when using a cream leave-in conditioner:
- Wash and condition your hair the way you normally do.
- Leave your hair wet. Do not towel dry it.
- Separate your hair into sections if your hair is thick or especially unruly.
- Apply your leave-in conditioner cream using one of the below methods:
- Raking Method- Take a quarter sized amount of leave-in conditioner into your hand and apply it to your hair starting in the middle of the hair shaft. Using your fingers, rake the product through to the ends of your strands.
- Smoothing Method - Apply your leave in conditioner (a quarter sized amount) to a section of your hair, clasp your hands together around that section, and smooth the product down to the end of that section.
Note that leave-in conditioner is generally used on damp, freshly washed hair. However, if you have a leave-in conditioner that you will be using as a hair refresher, you can use it on dry hair.
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.