What is Type 1c Hair?
Type 1c hair stands slightly apart from that of 1a or 1b and it can be slightly confusing trying to determine if your hair is 1c or falling more towards type 2. However, type 1c is primarily straight, like that of 1a or 1b, but has mild waves in the underbrush. Type 1c is by far the thickest and coarsest out of type 1 hair and prominently prone to frizziness. Type 1c hair can be the most difficult to manage because of its thickness. However, this also makes it the most resilient of all straight hair types.
So Type 1c or 2a hair?
One of the biggest struggles with those that have hair defined by this type is determining if, in fact, it is type 1c. It is difficult to define between type 1c and 2a hair simply because they both have a slight wave and ’S’ shape, but there are clear distinctions that can be made to define between the two.Type 1c hair tends to curl under toward the base and hold a slight curl. While type 2a hair is naturally wavier than straight hair (type 1), but definitely not classified as being curly. Type 2a hair greatly differs from 1c because it is generally resistant to bounce and frizz making it much easier to straighten or curl. Type 1c hair tends to be more resistant and takes plenty more maintenance to try and hold that perfect curl or sleek straightness.
Type 1c Hair Care Tips
Type 1c hair can be particularly difficult to manage, given the frizziness and unruly waves, so it is crucial to focus on products to maintain those locks. Here’s a few tips and tricks to help put your mind and your locks at ease:
- My number one: Smoothing serums are definitely your new best friend to keep that frizz at ease. Look for a serum that is gentle and has few add ins or chemicals.
- When opting for a carefree, tousled air dry look with your locks, you will need to utilize the cool shot setting on your blow dryer to avoid that frizz. The heat on your blow dryer can maximize that frizz that you are strongly trying to avoid! (Invest in a round brush to help you smooth and style).
- Take advantage of the resilience of 1c hair by keeping your hair long and layered, parted down the middle.
- Use moisture rich organic shampoo and chemical free styling cream or gel.
- Due to the thickness, and sometimes unruliness of type 1c hair, avoid products that intend to volumize your hair.
- Lightweight oils, such as almond or coconut, can help keep frizz down and create definition with waves.
Daily Dose is a perfect product for type 1 hair – it provides texture and shine while making your hair easy to style. The cruelty-free non-greasy formula combats oil and keeps your hair perfectly moisturized. Daily Dose is a great product to simplify your beauty routine and help you create the evasive “effortless” look. Get Your Daily Dose Leave-In Conditioner Here!
Related Hair Type Articles and TIPS
Author: Hannah Rogers
Hannah graduated from Sussex University in Brighton, England with a double major in English Literature/Writing and Drama. Back in the states, Hannah began working at a high end clothing store in Laguna Beach. She quickly turned her job in retail into a job based around social media marketing and writing. Hannah has grown up performing onstage and being creative in every aspect of her life. Now she continues to utilize her creative assets to pursue her career in writing and acting.