If you’re not good at blow drying your hair, you’re not alone. Styling your hair with a blow dryer can be tricky - many of us buy blow dryers without the slightest idea of how to use them. There’s a definite learning curve to achieving voluminous styles, which is why we’ve written this article about how to style your hair with a blow dryer.
Styling Different Hair Types with a Blow Dryer
The way you use a blow dryer for styling depends on your hair type. We’ll explore blow dryer styling tips and recommendations in the sections below.
Type 1 and Type 2 Hair
When used correctly, a blow dryer can give you gorgeous, voluminous hair. If you have straight type 1 hair or wavy type 2 hair, you’ll need to use your blow dryer in the following way.
If you’re going for a straight style, you should:
- Apply a moisturizing leave-in conditioner and comb it through for even product distribution.
- Apply a heat protectant.
- While leaning forward, blow-dry your hair without a brush until it is at least 80% dry.
- Continue blow-drying your hair while smoothing your ends with a round brush. If you want your ends to be curled, turn the round brush as you pull it through your hair.
- Finish your style with a finishing spray (oil mist or holding spray).
To define natural waves, use a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment.
Take the following steps to define your waves:
- Apply your favorite leave-in conditioner and a light styling product to damp, clean hair.
- While leaning forward, diffuse your hair with the blow dryer. Every once in a while, scrunch your hair with your hands to encourage wave formation.
Type 3 and Type 4 Hair
Styling type 3 (curly) and type 4 (coily/zigzag) hair requires several steps, which vary depending on the look you’re going for.
Styling type 3 or 4 hair with a blow dryer takes extra care. You’ll stretch your hair with the blow dryer and then straighten it with a flat iron.
Here’s what you need to do to achieve straight styles with a blow dryer:
- Wash and deep condition your hair. Detangle your hair while it’s coated with the conditioner.
- Apply your leave-in conditioner and then your heat protectant (if you’ll be using a heated blow dryer setting).
- Use a blow dryer with a comb attachment to dry and stretch your hair at the same time. Simply comb through your hair with the blow dryer. Ensure that your hair is adequately detangled before blow-drying.
- Use a flat iron to make your hair straight and sleek.
To define your curls, use a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment.
Take the following steps to define your curls or kinks:
- Apply a hydrating leave-in conditioner and styling cream to damp, clean hair.
- Spray a heat protectant on all of your hair.
- Using a blow dryer with a diffuser attachment, diffuse your hair until it’s dry.
Now you’re ready to create stunning styles with your blow dryer! We hope that the styling tips and recommendations found in this article are helpful to you.
Don't know your hair type? Checkout our other blogs!
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.