Volume is one of the most sought-after hair attributes, especially among those who have thin or fine hair. Flat hair is the cause of many bad hair days, but this doesn’t have to be the case for you. You can do many things to add more volume to your hair, and that is what will be addressed in this article.
How to Get More Voluminous Hair for Every Hair Type
The method that you use to increase volume will vary based on your hair type. In the following sections, we will go over several volume-increasing tips.
Type 1 and Type 2 Hair
Straight type 1 hair and wavy type 2 hair are naturally flat to the scalp. This is just the nature of these hair types in most cases. While flat hair lends itself well to some styles, there will be times when you want some volume.
Increase Volume Through Hair Care Routine Changes
Try the following tips to increase volume in straight or wavy hair:
- Don’t apply your conditioner too close to your scalp. Conditioners have the potential to make your hair flat, especially if your hair is fine or thin.
- Wash your hair methodically. Greasy roots can cause limp, flat hair. Combat greasy roots by focusing shampoo on your roots.
- Blow-dry your hair upside down. If your hair care routine requires blow-drying, consider blow-drying your hair upside down. This will instantly increase your hair’s volume.
- Backcomb your hair. Instead of combing your hair from roots to ends, try backcombing it (from ends to roots) to add some volume.
Type 3 and Type 4 hair
Curly type 3 hair and coily type 4 hair are not as easily weighed down as type 1 and type 2 hair. Still, there are many cases when curly and coily haired people struggle with flat hair. Usually, volume issues stem from improper styling.
Change Your Hair Care Routine for More Volume
Try the following tips to increase volume in curly and coily hair:
- Add clips at the roots of your hair as you style. If you will be wearing your hair loose, place clips on your roots before air-drying your hair. This will prevent flat curls.
- Use a pick. After your hair has dried, use a pick to lift your hair's roots for added volume.
- Try a layered cut or bangs. The right haircut can give your hair instant, lasting volume.
Product Recommendations for All Hair Types
A lot of times, your volume issues may be due to the products you use. The list below will give you some product recommendations for increased volume.
- Use lightweight stylers. If you feel that your current styling products may be weighing your hair down, try replacing them with lightweight styling mousses and foams.
- Use volumizing products. Volumizing shampoos, conditioners, and styling products can help to add volume to flat, lifeless strands.
- Switch to a lightweight leave-in conditioner. Heavy leave-in conditioners can weigh your hair down, so switching to a light one can give you more voluminous hair.
Use the tips in this article to banish flat, dull hair once and for all. We hope that this article is helpful to you in your pursuit of luscious, voluminous hair.
Don't know your hair type? Checkout our other blogs!
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.