Will a Hair Mask Straighten Your Hair?
Hair masks have many benefits ranging from increased moisture and growth to enhanced hair strength and manageability. They can also help to bring your curls back to life after prolonged heat styling or chemical damage. But can a hair mask straighten your hair? That’s the question we will be addressing in this article. Keep reading to find out whether your hair mask can leave you with silky straight strands.
Some Hair Masks Can Straighten Your Hair
Though hair masks are not usually used to straighten hair, you can use them for that purpose. In the department store, you’ll see protein-based masks marketed as Brazilian blowout masks or smoothing masks. These are the ones most likely to straighten your hair.
Unfortunately, these masks are not always formulated with the best ingredients. While some are safe for you and your hair, some of the ones that are heat-activated emit formaldehyde fumes and contain potentially harmful ingredients like parabens and water-insoluble silicones. The solution? Make your own hair straightening mask (more on that below).
Straightening Mask Limitations
Before we share some hair straightening masks with you, it’s essential to know that they have some limitations. If you’re looking to transform tight curls into bone straight tresses, you’ll need more than a straightening mask to do so. But if subtle straightening and smoothing are what you want, a mask can help.
DIY Straightening Masks
When you need a good straightening mask that won’t damage your hair or negatively affect your health, DIY masks are often the best option. Here are a few DIY straightening masks that you can make and use at home.
Hot Oil Mask
A hot oil mask is one of the better-known options for hair straightening and smoothing. To try a hot oil mask, follow the below steps:
- Gather your ingredients: castor oil and coconut oil.
- Mix equal parts coconut oil and castor oil in a glass bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds or heat it on the stove for 2 minutes. The oil should be warm to hot (never scolding).
- Saturate your hair with the oil. Every strand should be covered.
- Leave the oil mixture on your hair for at least a half-hour.
- Wash the mixture out with shampoo and continue with your regular hair routine.
Coconut Milk, Lemon, and Olive Oil Mask
This mask has a relaxing effect on the hair and works within a half hour. Here are the instructions to follow:
- Gather your ingredients: coconut milk, lemon juice, olive oil, and cornstarch.
- Add a cup of coconut milk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together a few tablespoons of cornstarch and about 4 tablespoons of lemon juice. Pour the mixture into the saucepan.
- Heat the mixture in the saucepan on low heat. Whisk as the mixture is heating up.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, leave it on for a half-hour and then shampoo it out.
- Style as desired.
We trust that one of the masks in this article will help you get smoother, straighter hair in no time. And we wish you the best of luck with your hair!
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.