Will a Hair Mask Make Your Hair Smooth?
Tons of misinformation exists surrounding what hair masks can do. One of the most common questions people have about hair masks is, “can they make my hair smooth?” If you’re one of many who wonder about this, this article is for you.
Hair Masks Do Smooth the Hair
If you’ve been dreaming of smooth, frizz-free hair, a hair mask is one of the most promising remedies to try. In many cases, a smoothing mask can transform your hair from wiry and frizzy to silky and smooth. However, in order for a hair mask to smooth your hair, it’s got to contain some of the following ingredients:
- Oils and moisturizers- Oils are beneficial in getting your hair to a more moisturized state, and moisturized hair is often much smoother than chronically dry hair. Coconut oil penetrates the hair shaft and leaves your hair softer and smoother. Castor oil, on the other hand, sits on top of the hair shaft to keep the hair from drying out. Other moisturizers like aloe vera, avocado, and glycerin also help to smooth and moisturize the hair.
- Smoothers - As you may expect, smoothers do most of the heavy lifting in smoothing hair masks. Some of the most common smoothers include silicones (the best ones are water-soluble), honey, and fatty alcohols like cetearyl alcohol.
DIY Smoothing Hair Masks
Now that you know what to look for in a hair smoothing mask, let’s look at some masks you can try today!
Honey and Banana Mask
Honey and banana are powerful hair smoothers. Honey is the star of the two, being that it draws moisture into the hair. Take the following steps to do your honey and banana mask at home:
- Gather your ingredients: You’ll need a couple of teaspoons of honey, a ripe banana, and a half cup of an oil of your choice.
- Mix the banana (mashed), honey, and oil in a bowl. After mixing, the mask should be smooth.
- Smooth the mask onto your clean hair.
- After about 20 to 30 minutes, wash the mixture out of your hair. If your hair could use a little moisture afterward, condition it with a rinse-out conditioner.
Olive Oil and Honey Hair Mask
Olive oil and honey are a fantastic smoothing duo. They both smooth the hair on contact and provide lasting moisture to the strands, leaving them soft and lustrous. To try this mask at home, here’s what you need to do:
- Obtain and measure your ingredients: a quarter cup of honey, a teaspoon of vitamin E oil, and ½ cup of olive oil.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix them with a spoon.
- Apply the mask to your clean hair and then shampoo it out after 20-30 minutes.
This is not an exhaustive list of smoothing hair masks, but they are some of the most promising ones to try. We encourage you to give one or more of the masks a try and see how your hair reacts. We wish you the best as you work towards smoother, more manageable hair.
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.