How To Use a Hair Mask Correctly
Hair masks are literal lifesavers. They can bring your hair back from the brink of ruin in just a few minutes. Protein-based hair masks can strengthen and repair damaged hair, while moisturizing hair masks soften and hydrate parched strands. But what most don’t know is that if you don’t use your hair mask correctly, you won’t reap all of the benefits associated with them. In this article, we’ll fill you in on how to use a hair mask correctly so you can get your best hair ever!
Step by Step Instructions for How to Use a Hair Mask
Let’s get right into it - here are some step-by-step instructions you should follow to get the most out of your hair mask.
- Start with clean, damp hair. Hair masks aren’t effective when used on dirty hair. That’s because when the hair is coated in dirt and oils, the hair mask won’t be able to penetrate the hair. So, shampoo your hair with a clarifying shampoo to prime it for the treatment. Remove the excess water with a microfiber towel.
- Separate your hair into workable sections. The thicker your hair is, the more sections you should make. But 2 to 6 sections works well for most.
- Apply the hair mask to your hair. To preserve your hair’s volume, only apply it from the mid-lengths to the ends. If you have no issues with volume, apply the mask all over, including the roots. Every strand of hair should be covered - use enough so that your hair takes on the color of the mask.
- Comb the mask through your hair for even product distribution.
- If you bought your hair mask at the store, read the instructions on the packaging to find out how long to leave it on. The manufacturers will often tell you to leave the mask on your hair for at least 5-10minutes or up to 30 minutes with heat. Recommendations vary widely.
- Rinse the mask out of your hair thoroughly. Hair masks are not meant to be left on your hair, so take your time and make sure that all of it is rinsed away.
Hair Mask Dos and Don’ts
To ensure that you get the best results from your hair mask, we recommend following the below dos and don’ts.
- Don’t use a hair mask often if your hair is already well-moisturized and in good condition. It’s a waste of time and money.
- Do use a wide-toothed comb to comb the mask through. Take your time to minimize breakage.
- Don’t apply a hair mask to dirty hair.
- Don’t use your mask every day, as doing so can lead to over-moisturized hair.
- Don’t ignore the instructions on your hair mask’s packaging
Now you know how to use a hair mask the right way. We hope that the instructions and tips presented in this article will make trying a hair mask as easy as possible.
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.