Hair masks are touted as a cure for just about every hair problem - but are they for curls? That’s the million-dollar question. In this article, we’ll let you know whether you should reserve a spot in your hair product stash for a hair mask.
Curly Hair Needs a Good Hair Mask
If you have curly hair, you know all too well that keeping it moisturized and healthy is a mountainous task. It requires gentle shampoo, moisturizing conditioner, careful detangling, and much more. Why? Curly hair’s unique structure prevents natural moisturization from the scalp, making it prone to dryness and breakage. The twists and turns that make up your curls, coils, and kinks make it impossible for the scalp’s oils to make it down the hair shaft. It’s for this reason that your hair needs a hair mask.
Hair masks give your hair the moisture and nourishment that it craves. These deep conditioners are packed full of hair-loving ingredients, including moisturizers, smoothers, and humectants to keep your curls looking and feeling fabulous. A simple hair mask could be your hair’s savior!
Benefits of Hair Masks for Curly Hair
Here’s how hair masks can transform your curls:
- Decrease breakage - Breakage and curly hair go hand in hand. Hair masks decrease breakage by providing curls with deep moisture, much more than you can get with a rinse-out conditioner. When the hair is adequately moisturized, it’ll be less prone to breakage.
- More curl definition - If you’re someone who likes defined curls, hair masks will quickly become your fave. The oils, smoothers, and silicones will leave your strands smoother and less likely to frizz or puff up. Just make sure that your hair mask is formulated with water-soluble silicones - these won’t build up on your hair.
- Protection from outside elements and moisture loss - Most hair masks are designed to leave a thin protective coating on your hair, leaving it less vulnerable to pollution and moisture loss. That way, your hair will be more supple and won’t hold onto smells.
How to Use Hair Masks for Curly Hair
You may be wondering how to use hair masks on your curly hair. We’ll cover that briefly here:
- After shampooing your hair with a deep cleansing shampoo, apply your hair mask in sections and then comb it through for even distribution.
- Leave your hair mask on for the amount of time indicated on the product label. The instructions will suggest you leave it on for 5 to 15 minutes without heat and up to 30 minutes with heat. If your hair mask label says something different, follow those instructions. If you plan to add heat, use low heat to preserve your curls.
- Rinse the hair mask out of your hair. It’s not meant to be left in. Don’t condition your hair afterward - hair masks replace your regular rinse-out conditioner.
You can use a hair mask anywhere from twice per week to once a month. Your hair’s condition will determine how often you need to use a hair mask.
We hope that this article has given you the information you need to incorporate a hair mask into your curly hair regimen!
Author: Andrea Reyes
Andrea is a mother, wife, writer, and natural hair enthusiast of 15 years. Currently on her natural hair journey, she’s been trying countless products and techniques to understand and embrace her natural hair. She is the creator of NaturallyTextured.com, a new website featuring informative articles that share tips, tricks, and techniques aimed to help others learn to love their hair through proper hair care. She writes with the hope of making hair care easier to understand and implement.